Nissan e-NV200 Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Soundproofing (deadening)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 pm 

The cabin is somehow soundproofed but cargo space isn't. Just ordered some soundproofing mat (STP Black Gold) and I'm going to start with the bulkhead..

Smaller rear door with the card removed. Looks like it could have some soundproofing mat. Some more "before" photos I took are [here], "after" pictures will come some day.

Post subject: Re: Soundproofing (deadening)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 pm 

Are you sound deadening against tire noise, or other vehicle noise? With the electric motor there is not much noise to happen at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm 

Against tire noise I guess. My M+S studless winter tires (Nokia Hakkapeliitta R2) are quite silent, but every single object hitting wheel arches makes annoying high-pitched noise and the cargo space echoes.

Another thing with the bulkhead deadening is to insulate cabin. Heater reduces range quite a lot and I don't see why I would want to warm up the cargo space. The roof of the cabin could also be insulated, but I'll leave that to Nissan service since the curtain airbags are located between the roof and the roof liner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:28 am 

Rear wheel arch soundproofing in progress.

My girlfriend helped with bulkhead lining.

Bonus picture: LED interior lights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:36 pm 

Looking good, thanks for sharing!

Yes, the airbags being between the roof and roof liner is a little bit concerning, however if you disconnect the battery the airbags can't fire.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm 

Sorry, I should specify... on an internal combustion vehicle, the battery disconnect will disable the airbags. On an electric vehicle, I assume the airbags are connected to the 12volt accessory battery, not the main drive pack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 pm 

Anyhow I removed the roof liner and did the soundproofing and heat insulation for the roof and none of the airbags fired :)

Also continued with the LED upgrades.

The original incandescent bulbs are "PS19W" but "H16" is better keyword for searching on eBay. These were not perfect fit, but with little bit of filing they snapped into place. I really like the "pure white 6000K" color they have and they cost only 10 euros.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 pm 

I get the feeling there aren't too many e-NV200 private owners like us that are out looking to discuss their electric vans online?! :)

Thanks for sharing! How is the improvement in sound? Is it noticeably quieter?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:04 pm 

Yeah I've noticed that also!

It's quieter. I'm not sure if it is noticeable, but at least it doesn't bother me anymore. Of course it might be "placebo effect", but anyhow it's worth it. :)

In other news, I got summer tires and new wheels. They're Italian-made MAK Highlands 7x17 with 225/45 tires. +30% rolling resistance compared to my studless winter tires (185/65 R15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2)...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:07 am 

Just got an E-nv. I was amazed at how loud it is. I am comparing to not only a Leaf, but from a electric Berlingo van. The Berlingo is just bare metal in the back also and is almost as quiet as the leaf. Maybe it is partly the old fashioned l-e-a-f-springs (the ride is a lot bouncier than the Berlingo) but it seems mostly like tyre noise as the noise changes with the road surface.

I have removed the bulkhead from my van, it was the first thing I did as the drumming from it was unbearable. I'm amazed they can sell a vehicle with a 5 foot gong behind your head.